Summers in Downtown Huntsville are dynamic with almost every weekend (and many weekdays) filled with unique and interesting events, shopping, and dining. From strolling in Big Spring Park to enjoying Pop-Up Putt Putt, big crowds seem to agree that summertime is a fantastic time in the city center.
Yet, while we love Summer, the Fall season is equally special. As the abundant trees around Downtown and Monte Sano Mountain turn the city center into a canopy of fall colors, many of our favorite events also take place.
October is a particularly special month for unique events in Downtown. This year, the October fun includes a variety of eclectic experiences. Let’s take a look at just a few:
1. Fall Buskerfest October 11-13: The annual Spring Buskerfest has become so popular that we’ve partnered with our friends at Arts Huntsville to debut a Fall version this year. This means you’ll find over 30 live buskers performing all around the Square and Clinton Row over the course of three straight nights. A big thanks to RCP Companies whose sponsorship allows us to bring back Buskerfest for a weekend of unique, free music.
2. Speaking of partnerships with Arts Huntsville, our signature collaboration returns for its 5th Anniversary this year. Can you believe that LIT: Light+Innovation+Technology will be five years old this October? We’re celebrating this anniversary on October 19th and 20th with an expanded version of the popular digital light experiences to include Westside Square featuring another iconic UAH digital mapping show, Northside Square with amazing light experiences conceived by Google Fiber, LED Orange with eye-catching projections on Eastside Square and in Big Spring Park plus the artistic Intrude bunnies and LED roving performers from Luminarts (thanks BB&T Bank for sponsoring the roving artists). These two nights of digital lights will illuminate Downtown buildings, trees, and rooftops thanks to the generous support of Toyota Alabama. All of these experiences are free to attend and participate because of our friends at Toyota!
3. Pop-Up Parks: Another signature event returns to Downtown this October as the Pop-Up Parks invade the Square. As with previous years, 10+ local companies have created unique temporary parks designed for you to eat, drink, and experience from October 11 - 21. It wouldn’t be October without the quirky fun of these temporary play spaces. These are also free to experience thanks to our friends at Maynor and Mitchell Eye Center who will also be partnering with Randolph School for their own double-sized park centered on this year’s theme of “See the Possibilities.”
4. If all of the above free fun wasn’t enough, October also marks the final Food Truck Brunch and Battle of the Food Truck All Stars on the first Saturday (around the Square) and third Friday (Church Street/Big Spring Park) respectively. Come enjoy free live music and other entertainment while enjoying the tasty offerings from some of the best food trucks in the state. It’s been another huge food truck season in Downtown Huntsville and much of that success is to our Presenting Sponsor Buffalo Rock (and all their fantastic Pepsi products) plus our media partners at Rocket City Broadcasting and their family of stations Star 99.1, Rocket 95.1 and The Beat 98.1
5. Have you enjoyed The Haunt over the years at Three Caves? If so, you need to know that all that spooky fun is relocating to Big Spring Park this year as the re-branded Nightmare of Church Street. Join HYP and others for a special night of high-energy Halloween fun in the city center. And, even if you don’t attend the event, you’ll probably see some epic costumers strolling the streets of Downtown Huntsville on October 27th. Click here to get your tickets.
It may be hard to believe but these are just a snippet of the interesting Downtown happenings this October. Other highlights include the final Thursdays of Greene Street Market for the season, the new free video games at Game Night Thursdays presented by our friends at Martinson & Beason and great active events like the Liz Hurley Ribbon Run, Church Street Wine Run, Halloween 5K and Monster Mile and the Fleet Feet MonteSano 15K and Kid's Fun Run.
Mark your calendars now for all this exciting fun coming to Downtown Huntsville in October. We’ll see you in the city center soon!